Thursday 10 March 2016

My Favourite Classics!

Hi there!

Since around Year 12 (about two-three years ago now!) I've gotten really into reading classics. As a lover of history and philosophy I find them so interesting as a way of understanding the mindsets of different times, and deconstructing the endless symbolism you find within the stories.

So, I thought I'd share some of my favourite classics, and discuss what I love so much about them!

1984 by George Orwell
I think it would be safe to say that 1984 is my number one favourite classic novel, and up there on my list of favourite books of all time. I read it for the first time when I was in Year 10, so about 14 years old. It absolutely astounded me, and opened my eyes to the world of dystopia, and classic writing. At that time, I also went to see a theatre production of 1984 that was put on in Brisbane, which both amazed and disturbed me (especially thanks to the incredibly realistic torture scene with live rats!). George Orwell created such an intricate, intellectual world and despite this being a very detailed novel, even as a 14 year old I found it easy to get through due to his flowing writing style. I was super excited when in Year 12 we had to study 1984; I was probably the only person in my grade actually excited about it! If you haven't read this yet, I highly, highly recommend you do so. It is also extremely beneficial to read it a few times. I've read it about 5 times now, and every time I discover new aspects that I hadn't noticed before and it never fails to amaze me.

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
The rest of this list is in no particular order, but The Great Gatsby is a very close second to 1984. I was hesitant to begin it, and I was worried I'd find the language difficult to engage with but wow was I wrong. Again, I was lucky enough to be able to study this at school after I'd read it, which further opened my eyes to the intricate symbolism Fitzgerald interweaves into the story. His depiction of the roaring 20s is both exciting and sombre, depicting people's flaws oh so beautifully.And of course I must mention the film with good old Leo, which personally I think is an incredible representation of the novel, highlighting both the incredible excitement of the time period as well as the detailed character development. Love love love!

Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote
I bought the DVD of Breakfast at Tiffany's a few years ago and told myself I had to read the book before I was allowed to watch the film. Such a good decision. I adore both book and film. As is the case with all of my favourite classics, it is the characters which drive this story. They are so unique and beautifully flawed. I can't forget to mention Audrey Hepburn in the film, who is one of my absolute idols. She is so classic and graceful and her portrayal of Holly Golightly is utter perfection.

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
Another classic depicting character faults, The Picture of Dorian Gray is an incredible tale of a man's obsession with youth, eventually leading to his own demise. I flew through this book in a day as it flows so well and immediately hooks you into the storyline. Dorian Gray is such an interesting character who is so difficult to relate to, which is the beauty of him as a character. Another must read for lovers of classics!

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Finally, probably the first classic I ever read, The Secret Garden. I must have been about 10 or so when I read this, and absolutely adored it. This is one that any age group would enjoy. It has elements of mystery that are so nostalgic, taking you right back to your childhood when you'd roam around the garden pretending to be pirates, or fairy princesses. A perfect one to read on a rainy day, cuddled up in bed with a cup of tea to warm the cockles of your heart!

Let me know in the comments what your favourite classics are, I am always on the lookout for new ones to check out!

Love always,

Ari

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed all of these Ari, and I also love Red Badge of Courage, To Kill A Mockingbird, Gone with the Wind, Tom Sawyer and more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yes To Kill a Mockingbird is on my TBR for the next couple of months! So excited!!

      Delete