Sunday 6 March 2016

Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas - review

Hey there!!

So last night I stayed up finishing the second novel in the Throne of Glass series, Crown of Midnight, and holy cow I cannot deal. Words cannot express how much I am loving this series!!

If you haven't read Throne of Glass, what are you doing, please please please go read it, and then read Crown of Midnight, and then come back and read this review! I was super late to the Throne of Glass bandwagon, but I am so glad that I finally picked it up. Anyways, back to the review...

SPOILER REVIEW:

I found the first half of Crown of Midnight a bit on the slow side, however you can see later on that this is totally necessary to lay the groundworks for the action in the second half. I am loving learning more about the Wyrdmarks, and the introduction of the Wyrdkeys is so interesting! I was seriously freaking out when Celaena found that the key was in the clock tower.

Next, let me talk about the incredible development of Celaena's character that goes on in this novel. I was so excited when I found out that Celaena wasn't really assassinating the king's enemies, but giving them time to leave! I thought I'd learnt most of what there was to know about her in Throne of Glass, but then there's that bomb drop that she is Fae. I mean, there were clues, and I thought she was just descended from them or something, but when she transformed into Fae in that other realm I was so surprised!! Not to mention the final plot twist on the very last page when Chaol discovers that she is the lost Queen of Terrasen. What?!?! I just want to start the next novel right now and find out what will happen now that she's away from the king for a while.

Of course, I must also discuss the relationship with Chaol. I've mentioned before on this blog that I am a Dorian and Celaena shipper, and I will stand by that. At first when her and Chaol got together I was like nooooo. But as the story went on, I could see how well they worked together and how beautifully their relationship was woven into the story. However, I still have an inkling that somehow Dorian and Celaena will end up together. I feel like they can understand one another because of how they grew up, always under someone else's control, being told who to be their whole lives.

So overall, I am totally obsessed with Crown of Midnight. Sarah J. Maas seriously knows how to tell an intricate fantasy story. So many new aspects keep arising and interweaving with the tale, it is a joy to read!!

Rating: 5/5

Let me know in the comments your thoughts on Crown of Midnight!!

Love always,

Ari

No comments:

Post a Comment